Stevia is an ultra sweet sweetener that has no calories and is grown natively for ages in South America that is 300 times more sweet than other sweeteners. The good news you can grow your own in your backyard and make some in your own backyard.
1. You can start a stevia plant by seeds but you can save yourself a lot of pain and just buy one at your local nursery and root cuttings in moist soil and keep your plant around for years.
2. Once the plant is 12” to 18” tall harvest top 2/3 of the plant.
3. Place plant on dehydrator tray at 90 degrees F, checking every 8 hours until the leaves are crisp (took 18 hours for mine to get to the correct dryness.
4. Pull off the leaves off of the stem, if the end break off keep those as well (this cab be the sweetest part of the plant)
5. Grind the leaves and into a powder using a blender or coffee grinder.
One teaspoon of raw stevia powder has the equivalent sweetness of 1 cup of regular sugar and can be used as is in baked goods though to make up for the bulk you will want to also add 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
You can also make your own liquid sweetener by adding 1 tablespoon of raw stevia to 1 cup water and boil for 10 minutes. Filter leaves out using a coffee filter and keep in the refrigerator for and add to your liquid drinks as needed.